PDA

View Full Version : difference between ordinary ftp and web based ftp.?

smith78
02-16-2010, 06:01 AM
Hello, I would like to know the difference between ordinary ftp and web based ftp.?I have always wondering what is the difference between an ordinary ftp and a web based ftp for transferring files. Of course, I do own a website and I want to utilize web based ftp. I will be thankful for clearing my doubt and help me solve it.

sharma678
03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
There is no difference. FTP is a standard file transfer method. The only difference is that you're doing one from a client tool or the command line, and the other from a browser. The browser still sends the same commands, and everything has to be set up the same way.

MONIKA678
04-19-2010, 03:45 AM
The FTP protocol has been around for a very long time. In fact, the functionality of FTP software today is based on RFC 959 which was first written in 1985. Despite the age of this protocol it has survived the times and is still very much in use today as a reliable method for network file transfer. Over the years several enhancements have been made to the FTP protocol. Perhaps the two most important are those documented in RFC 1579 and RFC 2228. These protocol enhancements provide for passive FTP connections and secure SSL encrypted FTP connections respectively.Disadvantages of FTPDespite the advances in the original FTP protocol there are still some problems that remain unsolved. These problems have less to do with the protocol and more to do with supporting users of the protocol. For this reason these issues cannot be easily solved at the protocol level.FirewallsAs companies become more concerned about network security, firewalls have become a commonplace appliance. Unfortunately while these firewalls can prevent unauthorized users from getting onto the network they can also inadvertently prevent legitimate users from accessing company resources. To resolve this issue a network administrator must typically modify the firewall rules for each user and their corresponding outbound and inbound FTP connections. Aside from making it more difficult for users to connect, managing this process can also be costly and error prone.Client SupportThere are a vast number of FTP clients available today, each with it's own set of features and also their own interpretation of the FTP protocol specifications. FTP server administrators must know how to support all of these different clients as well as know which ones are compatible with their particular FTP server. There is also the additional cost of purchasing FTP client licenses for each user and the maintenance of these licenses over time. ____________________________________________

prbtechuk
10-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Really I have find here difference between ordinary ftp and web based ftp which is helpful to me an many other people.

Dam Ponting
12-02-2017, 04:46 AM
Http (Hypertext exchange Protocol) Also ftp (File exchange Protocol) need aid just two of the huge number from claiming conventions that need aid constantly utilized in the internet, each for its identity or work. The reason for http will be should serve Similarly as a method for gaining entrance to those reality totally web.

RH-Calvin
12-04-2017, 06:38 PM
FTP is an acronym for File Transfer Protocol. As the name suggests, FTP is used to transfer files between computers on a network. You can use FTP to exchange files between computer accounts, transfer files between an account and a desktop computer, or access online software archives.

Akshay_M
01-23-2023, 09:45 AM
The one major difference is that regular FTP applications provide your computer with direct FTP access to the server. A desktop FTP program allows you to establish a direct FTP connection to a remote FTP server. In contrast, Web FTP clients act as intermediates between your computer and the FTP server.